--bcaec54305d62cd30304a8b2578e Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Hello, Why not use Gnome System Settings and KDE System Settings instead? So this can be visible in both environments, and the user will know what he needs to change. Internally I believe both can keep System Settings. Using Gnome/KDE System Settings the user will know which one he want's to use. Regards, Arx Cruz On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Sergey Udaltsov wrote: > > This is what happens when you mix and match bits and pieces from > > different operating systems. There is really not much that can be done > > about it. Since that is what both KDE and GNOME are trying to do: > > build complete, self-contained systems. > So far we are running the same OS (for most of us it is Linux, but it > can be Solaris or *BSD). DE != OS. And the system can be multiuser - > which sometimes means both KDE and GNOME can be present in the same > installation. Also, some, especially semi-professional apps are not > going to be duplicated in both environments (I am not talking about > text editors or calculators) - so there are relatively high chances > that the user would need both sets of settings, for KDE and GNOME (in > that sense having ShowOnlyIn can be a bad idea - some "foreign" apps > would become not configurable). > > The best idea really would be to define the mechanism of feeding the > settings into "foreign" apps. Both directions, GNOME (desktop) ->KDE > (apps) and KDE (desktop) -> GNOME (apps). If we have that, in addition > to ShowOnlyIn, user could never notice that the system has two > variants of "System Settings". The only problem with that approach is > that some settings can be defined only in one DE. In that case, sane > default values could be the only choice.. > > Sergey > _______________________________________________ > desktop-devel-list mailing list > desktop-devel-list@gnome.org > http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/desktop-devel-list > --bcaec54305d62cd30304a8b2578e Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:50= PM, Sergey Udaltsov <sergey.udaltsov@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is what happens= when you mix and match bits and pieces from
> different operating systems. There is really not much that can be done=
> about it. Since that is what both KDE and GNOME are trying to do:
> build complete, self-contained systems.
So far we are running the same OS (for most of us it is Linux, but it=
can be Solaris or *BSD). DE !=3D OS. And the system can be multiuser -
which sometimes means both KDE and GNOME can be present in the same
installation. Also, some, especially semi-professional apps are not
going to be duplicated in both environments (I am not talking about
text editors or calculators) - so there are relatively high chances
that the user would need both sets of settings, for KDE and GNOME (in
that sense having ShowOnlyIn can be a bad idea - some "foreign" a= pps
would become not configurable).

The best idea really would be to define the mechanism of feeding the
settings into "foreign" apps. Both directions, GNOME (desktop) -&= gt;KDE