List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: KDM plans and lightDM
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-06-15 16:11:27

On Wednesday 15 June 2011 17:46:08 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 05:37:14 PM todd rme wrote:
> > There are apparently people willing to implement KDE support in
> > LightDM, so why don't they instead improve KDM?  Why should they be
> > putting their effort into an immature project instead of a mature one?
> Because they're motivated to work on LightDM and not in KDM, new is always
> attractive.
Of course everybody is free to spend his time on whatever he wants. But  I consider this as
kind of a pity given that it looks like
a) GNOME won't accept lightDM
b) KDE Plasma won't accept lightDM

which renders lightDM to be used only by Ubuntu and not even by Kubuntu if they stick to their
"we ship what upstream ships".

I think it would be pretty sad if the workspace community would become split due to such
issues.

And just as something to remind: there was a time when Lubos seriously thought about dropping
KWin in favor of Compiz, because it was the new cool kid on the block. Look at what we have
today and where Compiz is today (including their history). Would that have been a wise decision
to drop KWin? Not always is cool and new better than old, stable and feature rich.

Cheers
Martin