List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: KDM plans and lightDM
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-06-15 15:43:44

On Wednesday 15 June 2011 12:22:10 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> But right now: (Once again this is what I see from outside:)
> -KDM developers have no plans
This seems incorrect, given Shaun's work on Plasma - and after the discussion in this thread
this should be known by now.
> -KDM maintainer has no time
Wouldn't it be an idea to get manpower on KDM? Maybe a better idea than to invest time in
lightDM...

So my suggestion: let's stop discussing about lightDM and evaluate what we have and what we
need. Let's do it properly and honestly. Then let's look what can be done in KDM and how we
can shuffle resources there. And only iff that does not work, let's discuss a different DM. And
also let's think about the future. Developing a new DM for X when we are about to switch to
Wayland makes me want to move my palm against my head ;-)

To me this whole issue was unknown until the thread was started and that most likely means
that it has not been raised on the appropriate mailinglists. I don't know if it has been raised
towards Ossi, but if he does not have the time there is always the option to bring the discussion
to the plasma mailing list (where you can mostly find all Workspace interested developers) or on
this list here. Though as it is workspace related, Plasma should be the first choice.

Cheers
Martin