On Tuesday 14 June 2011 14:55:58 Shaun Reich wrote: > How does lightDM even handle different authentication types? KDM has a > plugin system which handles different auth types (fingerprint, > winbindd, etc.). > > However, the fundamental flaw that I can see..is that at some level or > another, the UI/Greeter *has* to know what type of authentication type > it is. That is why KDM has plugins which wrap around PAM(sort of), so > that the interface can properly accommodate for the changes in auth > type. Note these plugins apply to the screensaver unlock dialog as > well. > > I've been toying with the idea in my head, of using the same Plasma > plugin (actually an applet + dataengine which wraps around a main, > more generic dataengine) in tandem with the Plasma integration with > the screensaver, that is currently present. I think it'd be quite > trivial for me to do this, too -- since I specifically tried to not > make assumptions. > > The plugins exist (both in the plasma frontend and regular kfrontend) > so that when it's in fingerprint mode..it won't show a textbox or any > useless stuff like that, and may additionally show a diagram of some > bloke wiping their finger across. (that's what the kdm plugin does > actually). > > Anyone familiar with the structure in lightDM care to enlighten? I am not sure it does right now. David Edmunson should know. -- Harald