List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Klipper
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-05-31 15:49:16

On Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:58:42 Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> Now, since we are discussing this, I can put my question to the crowd:
> Does this sound like a dataengine with two plasmoids to you? Or should
> it be a service that communicates over dbus?

i think the division of labour as you outlined makes perfect sense.

making it a plasmoid (or two ..) would be brilliant. but you'd expect me to
say that, right? :)

whether to make it a dataengine or a dbus service living in kded (or wherever)
probably comes down to whether or not there is a hard requirement on there
being only _one_ place where this data is collected.

until we have Out-of-process (OOP) DataEngines (which is planned, and might
even come in libplasma2), DataEngines are in-process, which means a DataEngine
would need to collect the data itself and that would be replicated in each
process that uses that. with OOP DataEngines this becomes a non-issue.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se