On 16 May 2011 22:32, Eike Hein wrote: > On 5/17/2011 4:07 AM, Steven Sroka wrote: >> >> Unfortunately, what would be considered *extra* would be based on >> subjective opinions. > > Subjective, and you're also sort of implying that the > current placement of things in workspace isn't already > the result of a thought and decision process, while not > actually having done your homework yet on what the pur- > pose of the components in question is (see the other > mail describing what Klipper's main function is). > > You've also provided no actual arguments for why the > workspace package should even strive to be minimal and > should limit itself to "core" functionality instead of > striving to be a highly featured workspace package. > "It's been bugging me" isn't exactly high-fidelity, > you have to admit! :) True, true. I orginally didn't want to spark a discussion about this. I just found it odd that Klipper was part of the same package of kwin, plasma-desktop, etc. I didn't realized how X11 was when it came to clipboards. > > Sorry but that doesn't cut it - starting a discussion > like this on that sort of rickety foundation is likely > to end up as a http://bikeshed.org/ discussion because > the quality bar for participation is already so low: > It's easy to have an opinion, but hard to argue for it, > so everybody will chime in with a few quick words, and > it won't amount to anything substantial. > > Wanting to shape the product is awesome (we need more > people looking at the big picture), but the only way to > have debate like this is to do the up-front work so a > thread can hit the ground running. > > I'd say let's close this up for the moment, and perhaps > revisit the topic of coming up with a definition of > what constitutes our "workspace" package and what attri- > butes components ought to have for inclusion at a later > date. Exactly. Do I hear KDE5? :) > > > -- > Best regards, > Eike Hein >