On 16 May 2011 21:59, Eike Hein wrote: > On 5/17/2011 12:12 AM, Steven Sroka wrote: >> >> This is why I think Klipper should be separate from kdebase-workspace. >> It adds functionality but not exactly _core_ functionality. > > Let's recap: > > * X11 has three clipboard buffers by default, called >  PRIMARY, SECONDARY and CLIPBOARD. > > * In practice, modern toolkits only use PRIMARY and >  CLIPBOARD. PRIMARY is set by selecting things with >  the mouse, and pasted by middle-mouse. CLIPBOARD is >  operated on by keyboard shortcuts and GUI actions. > > * In the X11 clipboard model, the client that you copy >  from is responsible for handing over the data when >  you paste. That means that when you quit the client >  you copied from before pasting, you can't paste any- >  more. This I like. Too bad I read this after I sent off my last email. > > Now, the main features of Klipper are: > > * It papers over the app you copied from needing to >  still be running when you paste by taking over the >  data when you copy, thus becoming the app responsi- >  ble for handing over the data on paste, allowing >  you to quit the original app. > > * It allows the synchronization of PRIMARY and CLIP- >  BOARD. > > The first thing is vital, because the X11 clipboard > interaction model without Klipper running is brain- > dead and the sort of implementation detail that users > don't want to have to think about. It's also different > from any other platform (Windows, OS X, and Gnome > which has an equivalent to Klipper running in some > session daemon somewhere). > > All other features of Klipper - i.e. basically the > entire user interface - are just icing. > > However, they're nice icing, and what's more, it's > icing that's directly workspace-related, because the > clipboard is an element of the workspace. Having a > nice manager UI around the clipboard and having it > by default adds an extra value and benefit for users > over workspaces that don't. > > That's why I think Klipper should definitely stay > in workspace. > > However, if the decision to remove Klipper is made, > it's completely unacceptable to alter the clipboard > behavior in the default workspace so radically, so > the part of the Klipper code responsible for paper- > ing over the deficiencies in the X11 clipboard model > would have to move elsewhere. The first instinct > would probably be a kded4 module, but imho it's a > task that's too fraught with complications and com- > plexities for what should be host to only relatively > light-weight modules. So a separate daemon might be > in order. > > The people who want to remove Klipper from workspace > should expect to be asked to do the development work > on a solution. > > > -- > Best regards, > Eike Hein >