On Thursday 20 January 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > On Wednesday, January 19, 2011, Alexander Neundorf wrote: > > http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual looks quite ok for > > somebody who knows how to use git for KDE, but not for me. > > Can somebody please add a simple step-by-step howto, what I have to do > > with identity.kde.org, projects.kde.org and git.kde.org, how the git > > push/merge/branching policy is for KDE, etc. If there are existing blog > > this is, at least to me, two related but separate topics: > > a) how do i get myself hooked up with all the tools? > b) what is the development workflow once i have those tools? Yes. And anybody who wants to commit needs to get both more or less right right from the start. > as i understand it: > > identity.k.o, projects.k.o, reviewboard.k.o, etc. are things you set up > once and mostly forget about afterwards. they are the new replacements to > the "how do i get an svn account?", "how do get a new svn module?" and > "what is the lifecycle of a kde app?" > > this is mostly about re-working existing documentation, such as: > > http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Guidelines > > and it's probably a really good opportunity to try and put it into an order > that's even more accessible than what we have right now. a "KDE > contributor's primer" on techbase, which is what you seem to be looking for > (and something i'd find useful myself as i learn all the new answers, too > :) > > one thing that complicates this is that these tools are to some extent > still in development. as needs are discovered and defined, sysadmin is > adding capabilities to cover them. the recent addition of > http://projects.kde.org/kde_projects.xml is a good example. so the "it's > not finished yet, but it's already usable" status does mean it's a little > more tricky. > > the other half of the question is development workflow. and that's even > less well defined, as Ian noted. it would be very good, as Ossi noted, to > have something that can create some consistency between KDE projects. > personally, i think we'll end up with something like this: > > http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Kdelibs_Coding_Style > > but for git workflow in kdelibs. hopefully then we can encourage as many of > KDE projects to adopt it outright or as the core of their own workflow. > kdelibs just hasn't had this done for it yet. it's part of the struggle > with kdelibs given how distributed and loosely knit the group of people who > work kdelibs are. > > in kde-workspace (and for the parts of kde-runtime we also maintain) we've > been discussing how to do things. i love that you shared what CMake has > done here as it's a great reference point. thanks for that :) so far, the > workflow we've sketched together looks a -lot- like this: > > http://public.kitware.com/Wiki/Git/Workflow/Topic > > i'm fairly tempted to just steal .. er .. borrow, yeah, that's it .. > borrow! that from cmake for our needs. Would be perfectly fine :-) As long as there is no policy defined, I simply try to push/merge to the respective master ? I also think that really most/all new KDE git repositories should use a common workflow. > perhaps we could even use it as a > starting point for the kdelibs workflow as well. > > one of the things we haven't worked out yet is how to publish the status of > topic/feature branches, which is what this seems to address for CMake: > > http://public.kitware.com/Wiki/Git/Workflow/Stage > > ? The git stage for cmake is a set of scripts written by Brad. Not sure it's intended to be a long term solution. They are thinking about using something else instead ... it has git in the name and is a google project.. web thingy... was it gerrit ? Not sure. Alex