List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Action icons in menus
From:       Miha =?utf-8?q?=C4=8Can=C4=8Dula?= <miha.cancula () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-14 18:02:10

Dne torek 14 decembra 2010 ob 16:08:42 je David Jarvie napisal(a):
> On Tue, December 14, 2010 2:52 pm, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > >
> > > IMO, this is a very important drawback. There would then be no easy
> > > way for users who didn't know the keyboard shortcut for these
> > > actions to discover it.
> >
> > Is this really a serious problem? Looking up a shortcut is really easy
> > via Settings->Configure Shortcuts and it's not as if all of our
> > shortcuts where "documented" in some menu anyway.
>
> I doubt if many inexperienced users will know about Settings->Configure
> Shortcuts. Personally, I rely on menus to provide me with the information
> when I want to learn a new shortcut - I wouldn't normally go to the bother
> of looking in Settings unless I felt very motivated. So yes, I think this
> is a significant problem, since it raises the barrier to inexperienced
> users learning shortcuts.
Perhaps showing the shortcut as a part of the tooltip? I know this is getting \
off-topic, but it's one idea. This could also be beneficial for actions in normal \
toolbars, which many people use without knowing the shortcut.

I have no solution for DBusMenu, as I don't know how that works. I agree that it is \
very important that this should works for all menus. Maybe it can be worked around, \
maybe not.

As some of you said before, we really do memorize positions of actions in menus. For \
example, Firefox 4 reversed the positions of "Open in New Window" and "Open in New \
Tab", and I remember having many problems with that. However, is this really \
necessary? Memorizing always takes some iterations, and we do remember pictures \
easier and faster.

Regarding consistency, the actions are consistent with the ones in toolbars. I don't \
see a good reason why menus should be treated completely different, because they're \
both just containers of actions.