List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: "Cornelius's grand plan" - Merging KDElibs into Qt
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-11-02 18:51:46

On Tuesday, November 2, 2010, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> during reorganizing kdelibs, a sh**load for garbage would be unearthed,
> which would have to be rewritten or purged by the new quality standards.

this is precisely why i want to see a clear set of goals and an "acceptable
risk profile" be created _before_ we set off in any such direction.

otherwise the "most disruptive" situation you describe may indeed come to pass
rather completely without that really being in our plan. with a proper
definition of what we want, what we can do, what we are willing to go through
to get that and what we aren't willing to accept we should be able to avoid
that.

for instance, we may say that we are not going to rewrite "garbage" we unearth
if it is currently working for our applications. this would be a statement
made to avoid "perfect is the enemy of good" drowning the effort in a black
hole of rewriting things just because we happen to notice the dirt under the
hood. (keep in mind that Qt also has tons of cruft in it; it's a practical
issue.)

in a perfect world, we may be able to afford doing that, but in the one we
live in we may determine that we are not capable of doing both a
reorganization of the libraries and an allignment with Qt _and_ rewrite the
majority of cruft that exists.

this is why we need to set out goals and allowances.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se