A Dissabte, 30 d'octubre de 2010, Luciano Montanaro va escriure: > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote: > >> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Cornelius Schumacher < > >> schumacher@kde.org > wrote: > >> > >> On Thursday 28 October 2010 John Layt wrote: > >> > Big questions. Anyone with big answers? :-) > >> > >> Here is a big answer: > > > Let's merge Qt and the KDE development platform. Let's put all KDE > > > > Just for those that have short memories let me explain what happened. > > > > We killed our printing stack because we were "promised" that QPrinter > > would be maintained and better than KPrinter was. And years later, > > QPrinter is unmaintained and provides less features KPrinter delivered > > much more years ago. > > I remeber that, and indeed printing is a sore point. What did go wrong > exactly? Qt not doing what they promised and us being to naive > What do you think would be needed to make some progress in > upstreaming/collaborating with Qt? Qt being a real opensource project, some examples to what i think this means: * Open up all the decision making process, that is no top-down decisions * Anyone with enough merits has commit access to the repo * Nokia does not ask for a full license to do wathever they want with the code Hint: Some of these reasons are what made people create LibreOffice from OpenOffice Once this happens we can start speaking, anything we do now is wasting our time. And i tell you, i'd like to be proven wrong, i'd pay to be proven wrong, but i don't see any of the three items above happening soon. > > In the spirit of brainstorming, here is my brain dump: > > I think part of the problem is complete independent solutions have > been set up for Qt, disregarding existing KDE technologies. This has > brought out things like QPrinter or QMultimedia. But in case part of > kdelibs goes to a Qt module that does not mean current maintainer can > find a new hobby - they should stay in charge. That means he has the decision power, which as of now is totally impossible since he can't even commit. > Hell, we have friends > working there, we have to find a way to help them help us! :) Friends paid to work there, and like anyone of us at work, we do what bosses want not what we want. Albert > > > Albert