On Tuesday 28 September 2010, Dawit A wrote: > You can go ahead and commit... Done. > I just need someone to create a kwebkitpart folder under branches/ Done. > > In fact, I don't understand why they are in extragear. I mean, yes, the > > initial idea for kdeaddons was "so that they can be optionally > > installed", but nowadays it means "and they have a separate release > > cycle" which makes no sense whatsoever, given that they are tied to > > konqueror anyway. > > Agreed. Makes no sense to me neither... > > > Every time someone changes something in kdelibs or konqueror which > > affects the plugins, this same problem arises. Not that we make bin > > incompat changes, but just depending on new features (from kdelibs or > > konq) is a huge issue every time. > > Yep, that is a very big problem right now... > > > ==> How about we move these plugins to kdebase? > > Not all of them - not entirely separate views like fsview, but at least > > the HTML-related plugins, like rellinks, adblock, uachanger, babelfish, > > validators, domtreeviewer, khtmlsettingsplugin, searchbar? > > They are certainly not essential -- nothing ever is -- but they go > > together with konqueror, really. I actually miss kdeaddons for this; it > > had the advantage of being "not in the core set of packages" while still > > being tied to KDE SC releases, so it didn't have the extragear issue of > > "I have no idea which version of kdelibs I'm being compiled against". > > Why did we drop kdeaddons, again? > > How about simply creating a new KDE repo, "kdeplugins", which should > only be used for containing optional plugins for applications that are > already part of one of the standard KDE packages ? That way the module > would not be used as a dumping ground for everything that does not fit > one of the other standard packages... > > Regardless though the plugins need to go somewhere where they can be > properly branched and tagged to avoid the current maintenance > nightmare... I agree, kdeplugins sounds like a good idea. Released as part of KDE SC, but with a build-time dependency on the other modules, so that it can use libkonq, akregator code, etc. Any opinions, anyone else? -- David Faure, faure@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr Sponsored by Nokia to work on KDE, incl. Konqueror (http://www.konqueror.org).