List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: NetAccess::statInternal and showing job progress
From:       Chani <chanika () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-17 8:22:33

On July 16, 2010 18:57:51 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On July 16, 2010, you wrote:
> > On Friday 16 July 2010 20:42:48 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > [...] just to show what is, imho, fairly uninteresting information
> > > [...]
> >
> > It will become interesting when the server does not respond in "expected"
> > time. Then you can see where it is blocking, what server, and eventually
> > what location it tries to access.
>
> i don't think this is best achieved through a notification (since it
> "penalizes" the user for every success in case of failure), nor are apps
> that are likely to use KIO::NetAccess (a synchronous API) likely to care
> or be equipped to do this.
>
> i agree with the intention you note, but disagree that this particular area
> of KIO's code is relevant to that intention :)

yeah... while it's interesting at first to know why ksnapshot's taking so long
to load, it quickly becomes irritatiing, and it was probably only ever
interesting to me because I'm a geek ;)

it may well make sense to expose the taking-too-long jobs somewhere, but
notifications (at least the popup kind) aren't really the place. (heck, I'm
even irritated by kmail's 'o noes the internet is down' notifications :P )