Sebastian, I am reading up on nepomuk then... If nepomuk is the metadata broker, a list from nepomuk would determine what columns to make available, putting it into a selectable form that gives selection and order options. Mp3 information too, running time, author, bitrate... would also be available. Another question/ statement tho, Shouldn't meta data be visible in icon view? It seems that an icon could have a few rows of text under it with meta data, also would like thumbnail to not interfere with file-type icon. Details in icon view could be really cool, and It looks like it might be possible to create globs of files based on types, or a spacial tree view of files, where the branches occur based on meta-data. Perhaps chunks of files with similar names, or types could be treated as a glob. the QT demos show a ridiculous number of tiles moving about freely, rearranging and such. This would be a good base for this type of view. I suppose the files would be queried for content conditional on meta-type. Windows has this feature and a folder with with 1000's of images takes a while to populate. Also there is a bit of delay when files are being created in a folder. On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Sebastian Trüg wrote: > Adding random columns to Dolphin should be fairly easy. The hard part is > making it in a performant way. Most of the information you want to > display is stored in Nepomuk and by default read for each item > separately. This is of course a bad situation. One query for all > displayed items would work much snappier. This is something that we > could discuss in further detail though. > My recommendation: start by implementing it the slow way (maybe by using > a separate thread that populates the additional columns via > Nepomuk::Resource::property() one by one). > The only question then is: which columns to propose. You could of course > start with a hardcoded list and later we could think of some smart way > to get the possible metadata to show - maybe by checking all files' > mimetype or something... > > Cheers, > Sebastian > > On 07/13/2010 03:03 AM, Aaron Peterson wrote: >> Hiya, >> >>  I am seeking a mentor to help me get into kde development. >> >> I am very excited as I now have a 4.5 branch development environment >> partially set up, and I read a few C++ tutorials, followed a QT >> tutorial... and have been browsing websvn. >> >> I would like to be able to add columns to dolphin's details view. >> >> These files seem important: >> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.5/kdelibs/kfile/kdiroperatordetailview.cpp?view=markup >> >> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.5/kdelibs/kfile/kdiroperatordetailview.cpp?view=markup >> approx line 662 >> >> >> Specifically, I want to add image properties, like height and width, >> md5sum.  Also I would like to be able to make the selection indicator >> be in it's own column, rather than overlap the icon (however, hacking >> at the icon level would work better) >> >> Basically, I would like to make it very easy to add columns to a >> detailsview. and I think the changes  would be in Kio, as a child of >> kdirmodel, but I would like to know more. >> >> >> -------------------------------------------- >> more hopes >> ---------------------- >>  [I would also like to make other ways to sort files, based on last4 >> digits of filename and other things that I hacked into windows >> explorer to make my job easier] [ This would also be helpful for >> koffice, where items can be sorted by contents, author, and other >> properties] >> >> Also  I would like experiment with  a toggle switch to change between >> selection and execution modes. (click a button to make it so KDE >> doesn't try to execute or open anything in a certain directory). >> >> I also want to work with accessibility features. >> >