Adding random columns to Dolphin should be fairly easy. The hard part is making it in a performant way. Most of the information you want to display is stored in Nepomuk and by default read for each item separately. This is of course a bad situation. One query for all displayed items would work much snappier. This is something that we could discuss in further detail though. My recommendation: start by implementing it the slow way (maybe by using a separate thread that populates the additional columns via Nepomuk::Resource::property() one by one). The only question then is: which columns to propose. You could of course start with a hardcoded list and later we could think of some smart way to get the possible metadata to show - maybe by checking all files' mimetype or something... Cheers, Sebastian On 07/13/2010 03:03 AM, Aaron Peterson wrote: > Hiya, > > I am seeking a mentor to help me get into kde development. > > I am very excited as I now have a 4.5 branch development environment > partially set up, and I read a few C++ tutorials, followed a QT > tutorial... and have been browsing websvn. > > I would like to be able to add columns to dolphin's details view. > > These files seem important: > http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.5/kdelibs/kfile/kdiroperatordetailview.cpp?view=markup > > http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.5/kdelibs/kfile/kdiroperatordetailview.cpp?view=markup > approx line 662 > > > Specifically, I want to add image properties, like height and width, > md5sum. Also I would like to be able to make the selection indicator > be in it's own column, rather than overlap the icon (however, hacking > at the icon level would work better) > > Basically, I would like to make it very easy to add columns to a > detailsview. and I think the changes would be in Kio, as a child of > kdirmodel, but I would like to know more. > > > -------------------------------------------- > more hopes > ---------------------- > [I would also like to make other ways to sort files, based on last4 > digits of filename and other things that I hacked into windows > explorer to make my job easier] [ This would also be helpful for > koffice, where items can be sorted by contents, author, and other > properties] > > Also I would like experiment with a toggle switch to change between > selection and execution modes. (click a button to make it so KDE > doesn't try to execute or open anything in a certain directory). > > I also want to work with accessibility features. >