List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request: Workaround for non-thread-safety of
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-05-27 23:52:35

Em Sexta-feira 28. Maio 2010, Ã s 01.17.47, Lubos Lunak escreveu:
>  For example, openSUSE 11.3 is now entering RC phase and that means that
> only  fixes can enter it, not features or newer non-patchlevel releases.
> Since the fix is in 1.4.0 and openSUSE is at 1.2.8 IIRC, 1.4.0 cannot
> enter openSUSE 11.3, neither now nor later. Now I know what the fix is and
> I need to know what the actual problems are to evaluate and possibly
> justify a request for exception to the rules. With the information given
> so far the fix appears to be rather risky and not even remotely worth a
> problem that has existed for quite a while and is "theoretical".

It's not theoretical. It's quite easy to run into that issue: if the mutex is
unlocked for a callback, the other thread will not be able to send the
message. It will fail.

I've seen krunner crashing because of this. That happens because the D-Bus
calls are sent by several threads in response to the same event: the user
typing.

Anyway, QtDBus is resistant to the change and wouldn't have problems with the
patch. The problem are other bindings and low-level apps.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358