List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: keyboard2 moved to kdereview
From:       Andriy Rysin <arysin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-01 17:22:46

2010/5/1 Ingo Kl=F6cker <kloecker@kde.org>

> On Friday 30 April 2010, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> > >
> > > looking at the code in Flags, i think i can see the problem: you
> > > probably just
> > > need to fill the pixmap first with Qt::transparent so the
> > > background is, well,
> > > transparent :) then you can paint the text, flag, etc over top of
> > > that.
> >
> > yep, I found it today and already pushed the code for transparency
> > The problem with text over the flag is that it's hard to find the
> > right way to paint readable text with all the possible flag colors
> > and their combination. So for now it'll be either text or flag, so
> > far the early feedback was pretty positive.
>
> Drawing a dark outline around white text usually is a good solution for
> this problem. To get something like an outline which also looks good for
> small fonts you could draw the text in black, then blur it and then draw
> the text in white over the blurred black text.
>
> That's very similar to what was done before, though as flags are quite
different in size/colors/darkness, the white text was drawn with black one
shifted 1px for a shadow, plus flags had to be dimmed otherwise text was no=
readable anyway. Even though the final text image was more or less readable
on most flags it was quite ugly both code- and look-wise...
I'm really starting to like "flag-only"/"text-only" solution  better.

Thanks,
Andriy