List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] kajongg in kdereview since 1 month
From:       Parker Coates <parker.coates () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2010-03-17 15:11:19

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 03:29, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> On Mittwoch 17 März 2010, Parker Coates wrote:
>> ImportError: No module named zope.interface
>>
>> Is this a missing dependency check?
>
> Yes.
>
> Kajongg needs python-twisted-core
> (on my kubuntu), and python-twisted-core
> needs python-zope.interface.
>
> That is not the whole Zope, just one
> small part which defines a class interface
> mechanism.

So I guess we have 2 options:

1. Check for the presence of these libraries at configure-time with
CMake and skip building Kajonng if they are not found.

2. Add a runtime check for these libraries by trying to import them
and catching any ImportErrors raised, then showing a nice friendly
dialog explaining why Kajonng is about to gracefully shut down.

I honestly don't know which one makes more sense, but I know uncaught
ImportErrors are not an acceptable means of notifying the user that
some dependencies are missing.

Parker