On 02/20/2010 06:17 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > the lack of a menu bar, or the lack of a status bar? The lack of the menu bar was foremost on my mind, 'cause that creates problems with keyboard navigation and so on. I don't think a status bar is mandatory as far as the HIG is concerned, but it sure is useful to show the action de- scriptions as one hovers menu actions. I suppose one could do that with Rekonq's popup status bar as well though. Anyhow ... in general, also on other app platforms, there's this trend to see it as a-ok for the browser to diverge from the normal platform UI standards since it's in some sense a platform unto itself. Who knows, maybe that's even a correct conclusion to make, but it's some- thing that our HIGs would need to be augmented to address head-on, otherwise the divergence strains their credibi- lity. Just like the credibility of Apple's HIG is strain- ed every time Apple decides to ignore them and just do something different because they feel like it. I think our HIG is really important to the KDE SC's iden- tity as an app platform - we're not just a set of libs, we're a user experience with its own set of conventions - and we should really take care to manage that responsi- bly and not lose cohesion. At the same time we also shouldn't be afraid to evolve our interfaces, of course. It's a fine line to walk. The reason Konq vs. Rekonq causes me to wax philosophi- cally here is because Konq has historically been a show- case for many of our technologies and one of the key apps to establish our user interface conventions, and any replacement would possibly send a similar "this is an example of how to do a KDE app" signal. Put in another way: Rekonq's UI is obviously heavily inspired by Google Chrome. Google Chrome has extreme- ly poor UI integration into any of the platforms it currently supports. I don't think Google minds that very much, since they're a web company and the plat- form they care about promoting is the web itself. That's not the case for us. We're interested in pro- viding great support for the web as part of the KDE user experience, sure - heck, we need to, that's the market reality - but if we want to maintain our re- levance as an UX we have to do that in a way that conforms with our conventions or what's the point of there being a KDE web browser in the first place? Thus I see it as far more important that our default browser stays true to KDE's interface conventions than that it is similar to the flashy new browser of the day. > you can't turn a swiss army knife into a chef's knife. nor would you want to. > you can't turn a chef's knife into a swiss army knife either. nor would you > want to. > > it's not whether konqueror is good enough, imho, it's about the fundamental > design goals. both konqueror's and rekonq's are valid, imho, as they are for > different use cases. no amount of working on konqueror will change that > without pissing off everyone who relies on konqueror's design. Perhaps. I have to admit that I see Konqueror mainly as a web browser today, and would be happy if its mission were redefined as such. It was important to reassure our users that Konq's file management prow- ess wouldn't just disappear as we introduced Dolphin, lacking many advanced features initially. It was un- derstandable that trust in Dolphin wasn't there yet at the time: It was new and unproven. But I think it has proven itself by now, and I've seen many stead- fast Konqueror holdouts switch to Dolphin over time. I think the desire for Konqueror to be a file mana- ger is far less today than it was back when we first introduced Dolphin, thanks to all the improvements Dolphin has seen. I think we should reevalutate whe- ther to focus Konq more strongly on browsing alone. -- Best regards, Eike Hein