List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Review Request: Add "Open File Manager" action to
From:       Diego Moya <turingt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-02-01 18:39:16

On 31 January 2010 19:33, Harsh J wrote:
> Uh, its not item-selection based as I pointed out. It is simply "Open File Manager" \
> -> no "in". No matter what you select or where you right click in that view, it'll \
> show this option cause it opens that current viewing _directory_ in the default \
> file manager, not readme.txt or anything else. This was also the reason why I \
> wanted it as a tool button since it isn't item/type/selection-sensitive.

This is valid reasoning. This action pertains to the dialog, not the
selected file, so it makes sense to have a button for it visible in
the dialog.

> Anyway, there's enough patches here now to just revert back to the Open With \
> thingy, so its upto the usability experts - I'll wait around to see if I could fix \
> anything else regarding either :P

I'm biased, given I asked for this feature. I would suggest having an
"Explore" button next to the "Open" and "Cancel" ones: this action
creates a new window, so it's more related to the buttons to finish
the dialog's workflow than to the button toolbar (which modifies the
current dialog state).

> > On 2010-01-31 00:08:03, Markus Slopianka wrote:
> > > Right now (in 4.4) the KFileDialog context menu is totally useless. It contains \
> > > view options (that can also be reached via the Wrench button), the option to \
> > > delete a file, and Properties. Some additional items, like Open With would at \
> > > least give the context menu some purpose. And as the Open With context menu is \
> > > already familiar to the users from Dolphin, it's IMO even better for the \
> > > usability than introducing a totally new action.

I'm not really opposed to the "Open With" action in the context menu
for files. I raised the "slippery slope" argument that adding features
to the KFileDialog ultimately turns it into Dolphin. So why make the
distinction then? - just open Dolphin when the user wants to open a
file in the current application. (Actually this idea is not without
merit - but exceeds the scope of the current thread).