Michael Jansen wrote: > On Thursday 28 January 2010 01:35:22 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote: >> On 01/27/2010 05:11 PM, Shaun Reich wrote: >>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Dan Meltzer >>> > >>> >>> wrote: >>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Milian Wolff >> >>> > wrote: >>> > On Wednesday 27 January 2010 23:46:34 Aurélien Gâteau wrote: >>> >> Hi, >>> >> >>> >> I have been wondering for a while why KGlobalAccel shows >>> >>> notifications >>> >>> >> about registration of global shortcuts. This happens for >>> >>> example when >>> >>> >> one starts kmix for the first time. I find it quite odd as it >>> >>> really >>> >>> >> looks like tech-speak. >>> >>> I know, I always run into the same confusion. When it pops up saying >>> "hey, an app registered a new global shortcut" it doesn't even say >>> what shortcut it is, to even make the notification useful. In my mind, >>> it seems like one of those cases similar to how a messagebox can be >>> overused, stating or asking something that the user does not even >>> care/need to know about, and it just adds confusion. >> +1 > > Ok. Please ignore my other mail. I read the thread here after my first mail and it seems everyone > agrees. I will deactivate the notification by default. > > ( For some reason i prefer to be informed if something registers a new global shortcut. ) Thanks Michael. As Shaun said, you probably care more about shortcuts than the rest of us :) Do you think this can be backported to 4.4? > > Configuration Option? I will have a look to see if it is possible to show the new shortcuts nicely. > But especially with kmix that would be a long list. I think the danger with global shortcuts is when the user triggers them unintentionally. In the case of KMix, having it associating global shortcuts to volume up/down and mute keys should not surprise the user. Same with a media player associating shortcuts to media keys. It is less obvious when other applications start registering shortcuts like shift+alt+h or ctrl+k,ctrl+u. In this case I would say it is up to the application to ensure that the user can identify the origin of the triggered action, for example by showing a time-limited notification. In fact this is quite similar to what KMix does when you adjust the volume. Aurélien