List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Bookmarks plasmoid moved to kdereview
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-01-12 1:14:00

Hi all,

I've just moved the Bookmarks plasmoid* from playground to kdereview.

It's a simple one-button plasmoid which on a click (or activation) shows the
standard bookmarks menu and calls KRun for the selected bookmark. It can be
configured to just show a subtree of the whole bookmarks tree, also
automatically adapts the icon of the plasmoid's button and the tooltip. Has
"Edit bookmarks" in its context menu.

All strings marked for translation, EBN has no krazy reports for it, run
astyle to conform to Plasma code style.
Seems to work fine from the test I have done, also use it in my 4.3
environment for some weeks now without any problem.

I think it will make a good addition, at least I missed it before :)
Please tell me if you agree and/or if there are any flaws to be fixed.

Open questions for me:
Where should it go to after it has passed your review? kdebase or kdeplasma-
addons?
Is the name "Bookmarks" to broad? What other name could it have to allow
alternative bookmark related plasmoids?
Which category should it be assigned to? Used
	X-KDE-PluginInfo-Category=File System
for now, but is this the proper one?

Future:
I hope someone will do an Akonadi port of the KBookmark* system, so all the
different bookmark systems (dynamic ones, Firefox, Opera, delicious, whatever)
are transparently behind the KBookmark* API. So I have no plans to support
other systems directly in the plasmoid. Although I sometimes feel the need to
add support for the Okular bookmarks. And soon for the Okteta ones :)

* http://frinring.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/plasma-bookmarks-widget-now-with-
custom-base-folders/

Cheers
Friedrich