List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: using gettext for .desktop translations
From:       Martin Sandsmark <sandsmark () samfundet ! no>
Date:       2009-12-12 3:23:26

On Saturday 12. December 2009 02.13.11 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> It's already been done in Ubuntu and SuSE.  Nobody has noticed any
> notable overhead.

Has anyone actually run some tests to see how much things slow down? The
threshold for "reporting" slowness or sluggishness (which I guess the
downsides from this would be) is pretty high, in my experience.

It might make some things less complex, but if it comes with a significant
(though negligible by itself) overhead, I'm not sure if it is a great idea
(since the problem this new approach is solving is already solved
satisfactorily by the current approach and tools, without the added overhead).

--
Martin T. Sandsmark
:wq