List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Animated labels and progress bars in Oxygen considered harmful?
From:       Robert Knight <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-02 16:56:54

Hi Hugo,

> I don't agree with your point. In the situation you describe above, you would have \
> animations that look better on Windows/Gnome/Mac Os than on KDE +With Oxygen+. You \
> can switch style, fork style (e.g. Ozone).

You miss my point I think.  Applications might not work properly under
KDE with Oxygen (which is the default setup on many popular KDE
distributions) if Oxygen does overly unexpected things to widgets.
This might be a small visual glitch in the best case or an application
crash in the worst case - making it unusable.  In that case it will
'work better' on Windows etc. just by virtue of working at all.
Changing the style for a single application is not an easy thing to
do.

> I'd think that people would switch style before switching OS. (In fact, some \
> distributions do not even come with oxygen style as the default. E.g. mandriva).

Some technically savvy users might know how to change the style for a
particular application that is broken by it, in which case they are
still suffering because the application looks non-native.  Everyone
else will use a different program or more likely a web app which will
look and work the same on all platforms (or at least if it does fail,
will probably do so more gracefully)

Regards,
Robert.