List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kde-qt branches after 4.6.0 release
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-12-01 15:03:07

On Tuesday 01 December 2009, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago@kde.org> wrote:
> >  - due to the way that the master and 4.6-stable-patched branches are
> > created (with Git merges), it will be extremely hard for packagers to
> > extract patches from them. KDE developers didn't like the solution I
> > created that would accommodate everyone (the 4.5.x-patched branches), so
> > to make the developers' lives easier, we're making the packagers' lives
> > absolute nightmare. I'm not available for help, don't bother asking on
> > IRC.
>
> I must intonate a 'mea culpa' here because I was the one who proposed
> the current kde-qt.git branch model (
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/61168 ). I did not
> know it would make extracting the patches nearly impossible, and it
> was not said at any point in the thread (or at least I cannot find
> anything other than the "OK, we can do that" in
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/61172 )

Yeah I think Thiago is pretty unfair here.
We can't be blamed for asking for convenience if we didn't know it would have
bad consequences on packagers. Besides I don't see what's hard about
extracting patches. Or why packagers would want to take most unofficial patches
anyway.

--
David Faure, faure@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr