List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: device-automounter moved to kdereview
From:       Jacopo De Simoi <wilderkde () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-02 23:45:18

On Monday 02 November 2009 23:56:14 Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> > So you /don't / have to use UDIs (unless you're manually adding to the list)
> > to use the feature.
>
> I believe we need to get rid of the UDIs and provide some more not just \
> user-friendly, but "human-friendly" strings.. Having to deal with them even in some \
> cases is not really acceptable. I'll try to have a look into this  to see how we \
> can sort this out
Just quickly playing with the solid minibrowser I have a few suggestions

First of all, show whichever icon solids give to the device, it really really helps \
to figure out what we are talking about even before we start reading.

The volume property info.product is quite uninformative (usually Volume(ext3)), but \
if you jump back to the closest relative which has a info.product property you will \
find quite interesting things, such as ExpressCard, or stuff like that.

Then I'd compose a string with the following field (with parent I mean the closest \
device in the hierarchy which has the infos required)

parent.info.vendor parent.info.product volume.info.product (size)
Some real-life examples:

Seagate FreeAgent Go Backup_HD (160 Go)
ST325082 0A MediaHD (250 Go)
Lexar ExpressCard ssdhome (5 Go)
Lexar ExpressCard ssdroot (3 Go)
SD02G Volume (ext3) (2 Go) (with SD icon)
Kingston FCR-HS219/1 MicroSD (2 Go) (I'm cheating here... MicroSD is the volume \
label)

Still, as you can see there's room for improvement, in particular the second guy was \
giving quite debatable information about itself (however still better than \
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_ECBF_30CC)