List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Nepomuk as hard dependency in future?
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2009-10-17 10:48:16

On Saturday, 17. October 2009 12:35:04 Evgeny Egorochkin wrote:
> В сообщении от Суббота 17 октября 2009 13:19:58 \
> автор Peter Penz написал:
[...]
> > Is there a chance that Nepomuk gets a hard dependency for KDE 4.4 or KDE
> > 4.5 (maybe implicitly as Akonadi anyhow will require it)?
> >
> > If this is not the case: Any ideas how to deal with interfaces like
> > above, where binary compatibility is a must for kdelibs classes?
>
> Being one of Nepomuk guys, I'm supposed to be happy about Nepomuk being an
> essential part of kdelibs.
>
> However, what happens to apps that run outside of KDE such as KOffice or
> Amarok on Windows or MacOS?

In this case Nepomuk::ResourceManager::instance()->init() might just return a
failure. I did not mean that Nepomuk should be a hard dependency in the sense
of "always turned on", just a hard dependency as library (it still is required
that applications and widgets check whether Nepomuk is running).