List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Bespin
From:       Benjamin Meyer <ben () meyerhome ! net>
Date:       2009-10-05 21:44:30

On Oct 5, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:

> Benjamin Meyer wrote:

>>> as long as bugs exist, someone will get them.
>>>
>>> the Plasma team faced a style related crash in plasma-overlay with
>>> the QtCurve
>>> style (and forks of that style, of which there are a few). we kept
>>> sending the
>>> reporters to the QtCurve project until the problem was identified
>>> and fixed.
>>> it took several months overlapping two different KDE releases to
>>> get this
>>> sorted out. it sucks that apps get the reports first, but you're
>>> right that
>>> the user won't know any better. so the app devs need to send those
>>> reports on
>>> to the style devs.
>>

>> Every style goes through some bad times.  Arora has similar issues
>> with Oxygen which was in really bad shape in KDE 4.0 & 4.1 to the
>> point that I added explicit code that when oxygen was detected to
>> change to plastique style.  I was just getting way to many bug
>> reports which were bugs in the oxygen style and it made the
>> application look bad in the eyes of the users.
> Hi Benjamin,
> Is this anti-oxygen code still in Arora now ? I'd still be
> interested in getting these bug reports (if still valid) and fix
> oxygen accordingly (that's basically the only way I know to move
> forward ...)

This anti-oxygen code was only in Arora for one release.  I of course
started getting many bug reports that the style looked wrong... no win
situation. :)  It was only going to be in there until 4.3 was released
anyway.  The only minor thing I noticed recently was that the
checkbox's in gmail are all cut off.   A developer on #oxygen helped
me fix a bunch of the issues (sorry I forget who) this spring.  If you
load up arora in 4.3 it doesn't look that bad now.  When using Qt 4.6
we even get the icons in the menu's :)

-Benjamin Meyer