List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: System Settings categorisation overhaul
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-1?q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <ubuntu () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2009-10-03 13:04:08

Am Samstag 03 Oktober 2009 11:21:39 schrieb Ben Cooksley:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Martin Gräßlin
>
> <ubuntu@martin-graesslin.com> wrote:
> > Am Samstag 03 Oktober 2009 08:50:56 schrieb Ben Cooksley:
> >> Currently in System Settings the categories structure is not very easy
> >> to use, and makes finding settings harder than it should be. In order
> >> to correct this, a complete re-structure of the modules is required,
> >> removing the General / Advanced sorting and giving modules clear
> >> names.
> >>
> >> Dario Andres ( from bugsquad ) and myself have been working on this
> >> and have developed the following plan at this time for the modules
> >> [1]. Please see the following mockup to see how this would look [2].
> >> This is aimed at KDE 4.4 at this point, and we hope to commit it next
> >> week assuming no changes need to be made. We would appreciate
> >> everyone's comments on this.
> >
> > I do not like the "Desktop effects" on toplevel. "Multiple Desktop" and
> > "Screen Edges" do not fit into "Window behaviour". I would prefer a new
> > Module "Workspace" which unites some Plasme and KWin config modules, that
> > is: * Multiple Desktops
> >  * Desktop Effects
> >  * Screen Edges
> >  * Screen Saver (IMO that belongs to workspace and not desktop look)
> >  * and the new "Workspace" module from Plasma - that needs a better name
> > ;-) * (perhaps also Task Switcher)
>
> Sorry, but that is too big. The objective of the restructuring is to
> make everything as top level as possible. A name such as Workspace is
> simply too generic. With 6 modules proposed to be in it I can only see
> future Plasma modules increasing it to an confusing level ( see
> current Appearance for what I mean )
>
> In this case Desktop Look = Workspace Look. Their look and behaviour
> are different things.
> Window Behaviour really meant KWin behaviour ( I think ). Probably
> needs better naming.
KWin has two areas: window management and desktop management. I think to the
user it is not obvious that those areas belong together in a technical sense.
That's why Screen edges shouldn't be in window management ;-)
To me window management, desktop management and Plasma is one topic
"Workspace". Perhaps that's an idea to split out the behavioural settings from
the visual settings. As sebas stated desktop effects are more behaviour than
appearance.

So perhaps spliting the category "Workspace and Application behaviour" into
"Workspace behaviour" and "Application behaviour". Then we could move screen
edges, desktop effects, etc. into this group directly as toplevels.