2009/9/3 John Tapsell : > 2009/9/3 Aurélien Gâteau : >> John Tapsell wrote: >> >>>> Unfortunately not: from what I understand (I was not there yet when it >>>> was >>>> designed) some applications really relied on the notification actions >>>> (this >>>> is probably more important on the GNOME side, because the only >>>> notification >>>> output available was notification bubbles, so actions were always there). >>>> >>>> Lots of applications have been patched to detect support for actions and >>>> behave otherwise if it is not there, but to avoid regressions in >>>> applications Ubuntu developers would not be able to patch, it was decided >>>> that while notify-osd would announce it does not support actions, if a >>>> notification with action is sent to it, it displays an (ugly) dialog >>>> instead >>>> of a bubble. It also does the same if the notification is permanent. >>> >>> >>> Okay, so shouldn't notify-osd be fixed? >> >> How would you fix that? > > By showing the actions?  Why wouldn't that work? Okay after reading more about this, and especially since Windows and Growl don't support actions, I agree with your original assertion that instead KDE apps should detect whether actions are supported or not, and provide appropriate messages. So I take back that notify-osd should be fixed. John