List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Trunk based on Qt 4.6
From:       Tom Albers <toma () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-02 10:32:41

At Wednesday 02 September 2009 11:39, you wrote:
> El Domingo, 30 de Agosto de 2009, Tom Albers escribió:
> > > distro's to not do that.
> > >
> > > Which distros will ignore.  Qt is not only used by KDE, and Qt is
> > > expected to keep compability and no behaviour changes.
> >
> > Thanks. Just gave a whole new look on Debian.
> > I naively thought they would take KDE serious and would not ignore such a
> > warning.
>
> You can't fully blame the packagers for this. Qt-people state that if you
> develop and test an app with Qt 4.x, it will run the same with Qt 4.x+1. Then
> KDE-people put a warning to not use Qt 4.x+1 because they haven't tested this
> version.
>
> Now packagers have to choose whether they should agree with Qt devs or KDE
> devs, so they are going to upset someone anyway. Given that 4.x+1 should
> work, and if it does not it's a bug, siding with the Qt devs it's the better
> option in the long term: if it doesn't work they are doing something wrong,
> and they should know it to fix it and avoid it in the future.

Well, the past has proven that QT+1 /can/ break stuff within KDE. Probably caused by \
workarounds we did in KDE to workaround bugs in QT. Those bugs were solved and now \
the workarounds fail. It does not matter why it fails, it matters that it /can/ fail.

And Debian announcing it would ignore our warnings hurts. Making a better 4.x.0 \
release than we did in the past is therefor not possible, .0 will continue to be less \
than optimal and efforts to change that are made impossible by this behaviour.

Best,

Toma