List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Trunk based on Qt 4.6
From:       Tom Albers <toma () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-30 20:11:29

Op Sunday 30 August 2009 22:02 schreef u:
> * distros are likely to ship Qt 4.6 anyways; pragmatically, we can either test
> our stuff heavily against Qt 4.6 or we can turn a blind eye to it and hope it
> works out. when Qt 4.5 was released it didn't work out at all: several crashes
> and misbehaviors in plasma-desktop were the result and hit our users directly
> and first. some fixes required changes in Qt which left more people high and
> dry for longer.

YES. So you agree with me! We need a full KDE beta cycle with Qt 4.6 to find KDE \
issues and Qt issues. Depending on a new Qt on RC stage will lead to a higher chance \
of a bad 4.4.0, and to be honest our .0 release are not that good, let's not make it \
worse by instability between dependencies.

> if it's a matter of our release schedule and Qt's being 2 weeks mis-aligned
> this time around, i'd personally sooner see us add 2 weeks to our own schedule
> and get a combined Qt 4.6 + KDE 4.4 out there in Jan/Feb 2010.

Sure, that's a no-brainer, but that does require some sort of statement of Qt about \
that schema. Schedules from the past are no garuantee for the future.

If Qt wants a cool, big show case of 4.6 within a month afther their release, it is \
not to much to ask, imho. And yes, that benefits both of us.

Toma
--
KDE Developer