Am Sunday 30 August 2009 21:19:48 schrieb Benjamin Meyer: > On Aug 30, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote: > > A Diumenge, 30 d'agost de 2009, Benjamin Meyer va escriure: > >> On Aug 30, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Christoph Feck wrote: > >>> Am Sunday 30 August 2009 17:13:14 schrieb Thiago Macieira: > >>>> Em Domingo 30. Agosto 2009, ās 16.49.55, Christoph Feck escreveu: > >>>>> Ideally, I would just svn commit to qt-copy with a fix, add a BUG: > >>>>> or a > >>>>> QTISSUE: number, and request merging with upstream Qt using a > >>>>> QTMERGE > >>>>> tag. Done. It cannot get simpler. Post-commit review works. > >>>> > >>>> That's exactly what we're asking of you. > >>>> > >>>> Create the fix, commit it, push to Gitorious, then create an MR > >>>> saying > >>>> "here, I fixed the issue". > >>> > >>> No. Browsing KDE/Qt sources in the editor. Find a bug. Correct that. > >>> Hit save. > >>> Want to commit. > >>> > >>> For KDE sources I have to: > >>> > >>> 0. "svn up/diff" to be sure > >>> 1. "svn commit" with BUG: number > >>> 2. "svnbackport" if I want it in stable branch > >>> 3. go back to editor to look for the next file I could fix > >> > >> And then I revert your commit because it broke something that would > >> have been caught if you had bother to ask for a review from the guy > >> who maintains the code. > > > > That's both rude and off topic. > > > > Albert > > [...] I have seen many bad commits in kde that > were pushed in by developers who were not the maintainers of the code > they were modifying. I myself even did it. Just because you can push > in a patch to nearly all of kde's svn without a code review doesn't > mean you should. This is a lesson that kde has learned many times > over. Many times? How many of the 1000000 KDE commits would you say were "bad"? 100? 1000? 10000? Even 10000 would be just 1%. Could you imagine those 1000000 commits would have gone through a Merge Request on that git website? I cannot. Yes, sometimes it is required to revert a commit. From the mere ~300 commits that I did to KDE, I had to revert one after a post-commit review from others. Yes, I was even able to revert that myself after I got a simple "I would suggest you revert that" message on IRC... > Between, irc, email, paste websites, and the new review website > there is little reason to not do some sort of review these days. No problem here. I use all of those methods, and are fine with them. But probably only for 10% of my commits. Either you want Qt open to KDE developers, or you don't. I understand that you seem to want to (you expressed that much often), but the door isn't open, there isn't even an open window. It feels a bit like joining a birthday party where you have to communicate with others via the mailbox... There is much potential. Looking at http://gitorious.org/+kde-developers I see a (small fraction of the) horde of willing developers who just wait for the door to open fully. But I don't see any of them appearing at the Merge Request list. I gave my reason. Maybe others have different reasons. I don't know. Christoph Feck (kdepepo)