List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Trunk based on Qt 4.6
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-30 18:58:19

Em Domingo 30. Agosto 2009, ās 18.13.08, Tom Albers escreveu:
> Op Sunday 30 August 2009 15:15 schreef u:
> > Qt 4.6 will be released end of this year [...]. So should we based the
> > trunk on top of 4.6 for KDE 4.4?
>
> My humble opinion is that if Qt 4.6 is released before KDE 4.4 Beta 1, we
>  can depend on it. If not released before November 11th, we can not test it
>  properly and can not depend on it.
>
> Next to that, you state 'it will be released at the end of this year', I
>  don't think we can depend on it, usually Qt releases when ready, and that
>  means it can become Januari. The relevant bit here is that we can not
>  depend on it. There is always a KDE 4.4.1...

I think that depending on Qt 4.6 (provided it is released in time) is a good
thing to do.

Many people will want to start using the new animation API. The performance
improvements are going to benefit KDE, obviously.

Now, the problem is the "when" we start depending on it. Saying 4.6 is
acceptable if it's released before the 4.4 beta 1, it would be too late. If Qt
4.6 is released the day before the beta1, it would meet your required
deadline, but we'd have no features using it.

I'd do it like this: when the 4.6 beta is released, we decide whether it's
early enough to meet KDE 4.4 final's schedule.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009