List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Trunk based on Qt 4.6
From:       Christoph Feck <christoph () maxiom ! de>
Date:       2009-08-30 16:14:12

Am Sunday 30 August 2009 17:13:14 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Em Domingo 30. Agosto 2009, Ã s 16.49.55, Christoph Feck escreveu:
> > Ideally, I would just svn commit to qt-copy with a fix, add a BUG: or a
> > QTISSUE: number, and request merging with upstream Qt using a QTMERGE
> > tag. Done. It cannot get simpler. Post-commit review works.
>
> That's exactly what we're asking of you.
>
> Create the fix, commit it, push to Gitorious, then create an MR saying
> "here, I fixed the issue".

No. Browsing KDE/Qt sources in the editor. Find a bug. Correct that. Hit save.
Want to commit.

For KDE sources I have to:

0. "svn up/diff" to be sure
1. "svn commit" with BUG: number
2. "svnbackport" if I want it in stable branch

For Qt sources I have to:

0. "git pull/diff" to be sure (pull will not work anyway, because of my
change?)
1. create a local branch for my fix (despite that my sources are already
local?)
2. switch to that branch (and wait for git to "make the switch")
3. somehow reapply the fix there (either in the editor by reloading
the "changed" document, even if the branches do not differ or manually fixing
it again)
4. hope i didn't mess up all the states of all my branches, origins, and repos
and whatever git calls them (what again is the difference between git pull,
git fetch, git rebase, git checkout?)
5. "git commit" with ISSUE: number (finally? no! more to come...)
6. "git push" to my remote git repo
7. open a webbrowser (imagine that, I often have no browser open)
8. visit a website to "request merge"
9. find my local branch there
10. find my local commit there
11. hope that the web page wont error out with "We are sorry, but something
went wrong"
12. retry steps 8-10, because I could have make a mistake
13. hope that the web page wont error out with "We are sorry, but something
went wrong"
14. retry steps 8-10 four hours later, because it might be a server load
problem
15. hope that the web page wont error out with "We are sorry, but something
went wrong"
16. retry steps 8-10 the next day, because it might be a bug in gitourious
17. repeat steps 8-16 when I want it in stable branch
18. hope that I don't forget to switch back to a different branch before I
apply/commit my next fix
19. wait 4 hours for the next Qt recompile due to switching branches
20. wait 20 hours for next KDE recompile due to switching branches
21. wait 14 days before someone even looks at it
22. wait 2 months to get a mail that it has been applied

So much for "exactly".

Yes, these is my actual experiences.

> > </ignorethis>

You did not ;)