List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO: Mass Copy of Files from Different Sources to Different
From:       "Dawit A." <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-25 14:10:46

After going back and refamiliarizing myself with the scheduler code, I have no
objection in principle to the patch. Actually, I completely misunderstood the
whole patch as a changing the scheduler behavior when it did not. The
scheduler indeed allocates N ioslaves per protocol where N is obtained from
the "maxInstances" property in the *.protocol files. For example, for the
protocols in kdelibs this value is set to "3" for http, "4" for file and "2"
for ftp.

The only issue of concern that needs to be investigated with this change AFAIC
is one of bottleneck at the scheduler. How does this impact multiple
applications making requests to distinct remote servers since the limits are
per protocol and not host ? Is limiting the maximum number of  the file ioslave
instances to "4" appropriate ? What about http etc etc ? In other words we
have to test some use cases and if needed adjust these limits accordingly. One
additional note... The documentation for KProtocolInfo::maxSlaves(...), the
function the scheduler uses to find out the number of ioslaves it can spawn,
states that the limits set by this value are 'soft' limits and can be exceeded
under certain circumstances, but I cannot figure out under what circumstance
that might happen to scheduled jobs in KIO::Scheduler.

Anyhow, the only change that is missing from the patch is the modification of
KIO::Scheduler::doJob function to remove a job from the scheduled jobs list if
when it is called just like it is done in the ::scheduleJob function now. This
then can be used by any download manager that wants to control the scheduling
of jobs. So by default jobs get scheduled, but applications that want more
control can simply call KIO::Scheduler::doJob(...) directly to bypass the
scheduling process and ignore the limits set in the *.protocol files...