List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Use phonon from Qt or kdesupport?
From:       Ian Wadham <ianw2 () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2009-07-19 0:04:45

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 4:32:42 am Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> 2009/7/18 David Jarvie <djarvie@kde.org>:
> > The build instructions for kde-qt in the new gitorious repository result
> > in including the phonon component of Qt in the build. Is this correct? -
> > if so, should phonon in kdesupport still be used?
>
> Useful related discussions in kde-devel and kde-build-system, with
> this question still unanswered:

I built qt-copy (Qt 4.5) into my app, with Qt Phonon suppressed, about
2 weeks ago.  KDE Phonon definitely works much better in that app
(KDE Games, KGoldrunner) than previous versions of KDE Phonon did,
but I have not tested with Qt Phonon.  What is the difference?  Wasn't
Phonon supposed to be a pillar of KDE?

KGoldrunner is very sound-intensive and we have had a history of
troubles with Phonon for about a year, so it is good to have a KDE
Phonon that works better with game-sounds now.

But did I do the right thing?  After downloading all of qt-copy (I had got
a few months behind), I saw the note about kde-qt, but decided not to
get into GIT and all that at this late stage in the release cycle.

We are 2 days from KDE 4.3 RC1 and 9 days from release.  The KDE
4.3 release version of my app was tested with KDE Phonon, but has
not been tested with Qt Phonon.

Which Phonon will actually go out with KDE 4.3?

> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=124653724010426&w=2
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-buildsystem&m=124654992109606&w=2

Did read those and the question is indeed still unanswered ... :-)

Cheerfully confused, Ian W.