2009/7/1 Aurélien Gâteau : > nf2 wrote: > >> * System (or Platform, or infrastructure) technologies like ioslaves >> or kwallet: While KDE has been the "market leader" for a long time, >> comparable technologies have caught up or have even become "cooler". >> Therefore KDE could benefit from "incorporating" them. The "Platform" >> should move to the layer below KDE - things that are eager to be >> shared by everyone. You won't love me for that, but honestly: That >> part of the world should be ruled by GLib and GObjects... > > I don't think anyone with experience in Qt and QObject would like to > rewrite his work with GObject. I had to work with this and it was really > painful. At least in plain C. It's probably nicer when using higher > level languages. > Handcrafted in C it's painful, but if you view it not just as a C-language add-on, but rather as a kind of object-oriented runtime, it's quite fascinating... The nice thing is the kind of dualistic nature: You can use GObject based APIs just like traditional C APIs straight away from C or C++, but with introspection and typelibs you can also create bindings for dynamic languages or even a high level compiled language like Vala (which is basically a C# dialect) on top. I wouldn't slag off such a technology as "inferior", like Aaron does. It's a masterpiece of software engineering the F/OSS community should be proud of. Norbert