List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kdeinit no workey
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2009-05-12 21:30:35

 Hello,

 just in case nobody has noticed yet (which is presumably the case :) ),
kdeinit in KDE4 has always been not much more than a pretty complex way to
say execve(), due to at least 4 independent changes somewhere. Since kdeinit
still makes some difference (about 0.7M per process on 32bit with my debug
build, I have no idea what the status is with final builds with symbol
visibility), and it's also suitable for hacks working around lameness of
others when it comes to handling memory usage, I've made it work again.

 Non-ELF platforms: The KDE4 build system no longer creates the extra modules
like KDE3 did in lib/kde3, there's only lib/libkdeinit4_whatever.so, and I
took the liberty to not play with cmake and just dlopen this one directly.
IIRC the KDE3 setup was done for platforms that couldn't dlopen libraries, in
case this still matters, feel free to adjust r967207 and duke it out with
whoever changed it in the buildsystem.

 I also changed kdeinit to now load libplasma during workspace startup,
instead of libkonq (which doesn't seem to be used that much nowadays).
Currently libplasma is pulled in by a lot of stuff in workspace anyway
(plasma, krunner, ksmserver, kwin, kded via khotkeys via libworkspace) and it
has somewhat heavy dependencies. Especially if you happen to have nvidia's
libGL, which is 11M per process and I promised Thiago that we can do
something about it. I thereby claim the achievement of reducing KDE's memory
usage for just the plain desktop by about 33M (which itself was enough to fit
whole plain KDE3), feel free to beat that ;).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer