Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > On Friday 24 April 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote: >>>> One usually do not trigger mouse clicks accidentally because it's a >>>> point-and-click operation. Wheel-scroll is not: you just roll the wheel, >>>> thinking the mouse is still over the document you are reading. That's >>>> the whole point of mouse wheel: scrolling without pointing the cursor at >>>> the scrollbar. >>> that isn't how wheeling has worked now or ever in x11. again, please >>> direct your energy to the right place. >> I do not understand what you mean. For me using the mouse wheel on x11 >> (as on other os) means getting a page to scroll while my mouse is over >> the page, not over the scrollbar. > > yes, it's about scrolling when it isn't over the scrollbar; however, on some > other systems (at least last time i tried) you have to click the window to > give it wheel focus first. in x you just hover and wheel and the wheel event > goes to whatever is hovered, not necessarily focused. > > whether that's a smart thing or not depends on your POV :) personally i'd love > an option somewhere for this if it doesn't already exist. Oh ok, now I see what you mean. I guess it comes from the fact that the wheel is considered like mouse buttons. It shouldn't be too hard to blacklist those, but it's beyond my patching jurisdiction :) >>>> if the browser suddenly switches between tabs, or if the wm switches to >>>> another window/desktop. This is because mouse-wheel is expected to be a >>>> very easy-to-undo operation: if you roll a bit too low, just roll it a >>>> bit up to get where you want. Magical pagers and taskbars break this. >>> "magical" pagers and taskbars behave identically; roll up a bit and >>> you're back to where you were. >> True for pagers and taskbars, false for desktop background. > > i'm pretty agnostic on the desktop background, btw. i'd be fine with an option > for it and default it to off now that we have that corona config box. the only > reason why that feature is there is i got really tired of getting email about > it not being there and in a moment of exasperated weakness implemented it (it > was a 1-2 liner) I see what you mean :). Chani gave me hope on this one, so all is not lost! Aurélien