--Boundary-01=_URd8J7qlKVGt5Zy Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Am Friday 24 April 2009 schrieb Aur=C3=A9lien G=C3=A2teau: > First I believe most non-techy users do not use multiple monitors. (this is unerlate to the rest, and) just for the records: from my personal experience multimonitor setups are mostly used by artists,= =20 CAD designers and dtp's. nerds don't use many monitors but tend to steer on= =20 /one/ (they actually never move their head - unless the other one has a p0r= n=20 screensaver... ;-P ) > Second, just because there are many ways to get screwed, doesn't mean we > should add others. It's not just me: I have witnessed this problem with > a few users. sorry, but if you're not in control of an input device, why not just drop (= or=20 deactivate) it? - it's pretty simple to make the mousewheel do nothing. > I believe mouse wheel on empty Plasma space is bad too, especially since > it can't be undone: clicking the "close window" button can't be undone either, so that's a bad= =20 feature? (short: it's a bad argument, sorry) > scroll from empty desktop to busy desktop, now > scroll back... can't do that, the window in front just caught the mouse > event. well, just adapt to the new situation (you btw introduced yourself), find s= ome=20 emtpy space and wheel there. (and if you constantly run into this situation= ,=20 learn sth. out of it and stop using the MW to scroll desktops or don't use = =46S=20 apps) =2D- this is rather a problem when you want scroll 2 desks ahead and wheel them = at=20 once and the next desktop catches your wheelevent in a window - but hey: no= =20 one said "spaces" wasn't cooler - though having a trigger for it in a windo= w=20 corner leads to probles either, and triggering it by a key shortcut fracts = UI=20 dev usage... I WANT A BRAIN INTERFACE! ;-) =2D- > Adding mouse wheel support to desktop items is a bad idea. It is just > too easy to accidentally trigger a wheel event, and a mouse wheel is not > precise enough for simple increase/decrease actions. errr, i'll take position for my beloved MX500 that has done a great and=20 reliable job for YEARS now: could you please say "my mousewheel emulation on my touchpad"? [*] mousewheels /are/ precise (they do one "click" by one "click", just the del= ta=20 may vary, but it's (appside) easy to ignore it if you want to trigger=20 "precise" stuff by it) and they're not "too easy to accidently trigger" as= =20 well (as long as your fine motorics aren't broken - but then a mouse is a=20 problem in general) in contrast to that, touchpads are the most $=C2=A7$%&*' UI devices /ever/.= they're=20 just nowhere any "precise" enough. luckily they tend to turn off when you plug in a mouse and if you can't use= a=20 mouse "well: be happy with what you've got" (the better touchpads however let you configure their sesitivity - even=20 independent for the MW emulation) please don't get me wrong, i /do/ see that touchpad wheels introduce problems (trust me, i do...sadly)= =20 but imho the solution (to this very problem) was to write an (X wide) MW=20 filter that passes wheelevents only to a customizable whitelist of apps. no= t=20 to say: "hey my touchpad is crap, can we please not use anything but single= =20 leftclicks?" this way you can fix your whole touchpad trouble at once, and not just "the= =20 desktop", "mplayer", ... and anyone with a working mouse/wheel can just go = on=20 making use of it -> everyone's happy =3DD Thomas [*] i am aware that there're some cheap silly mice that try to have a "smoo= th=20 as possible" wheel, but that's just a bad UI design for the lack of feedbac= k. --Boundary-01=_URd8J7qlKVGt5Zy Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }Am Friday 24 April 2009 schrieb Aur=C3=A9lien G=C3=A2teau:

> First I believe most non-techy users do not use = multiple monitors.
(this is unerlate to the rest, and) just for the records:
from my personal experience multimonitor setups are mostly used by artists,= CAD designers and dtp's. nerds don't use many monitors but tend to steer o= n /one/ (they actually never move their head - unless the other one has a p= 0rn screensaver... ;-P )

> Second, just because there are many ways to get = screwed, doesn't mean we
> should add others. It's not just me: I have witnessed this problem wit= h
> a few users.
sorry, but if you're not in control of an input device, why not just drop (= or deactivate) it? - it's pretty simple to make the mousewheel do nothing.<= br>

> I believe mouse wheel on empty Plasma space is b= ad too, especially since
> it can't be undone:
clicking the "close window" button can't be undone either, so that's a bad = feature? (short: it's a bad argument, sorry)

> scroll from empty desktop to busy desktop, now > scroll back... can't do that, the window in front just caught the mous= e
> event.
well, just adapt to the new situation (you btw introduced yourself), find s= ome emtpy space and wheel there. (and if you constantly run into this situa= tion, learn sth. out of it and stop using the MW to scroll desktops or don'= t use FS apps)
=2D-
this is rather a problem when you want scroll 2 desks ahead and wheel them = at once and the next desktop catches your wheelevent in a window - but hey:= no one said "spaces" wasn't cooler - though having a trigger for it in a w= indow corner leads to probles either, and triggering it by a key shortcut f= racts UI dev usage... I WANT A BRAIN INTERFACE! ;-)
=2D-

> Adding mouse wheel support to desktop items is a= bad idea. It is just
> too easy to accidentally trigger a wheel event, and a mouse wheel is n= ot
> precise enough for simple increase/decrease actions.

errr, i'll take position for my beloved MX500 that ha= s done a great and reliable job for YEARS now:

could you please say "my mousewheel emulation on my t= ouchpad"? [*]

mousewheels /are/ precise (they do one "click" by one= "click", just the delta may vary, but it's (appside) easy to ignore it if = you want to trigger "precise" stuff by it) and they're not "too easy to acc= idently trigger" as well (as long as your fine motorics aren't broken - but= then a mouse is a problem in general)

in contrast to that, touchpads are the most $=C2=A7$%= &*' UI devices /ever/. they're just nowhere any "precise" enough.

luckily they tend to turn off when you plug in a mous= e and if you can't use a mouse "well: be happy with what you've got"
(the better touchpads however let you configure their sesitivity - even ind= ependent for the MW emulation)

please don't get me wrong,
i /do/ see that touchpad wheels introduce problems (trust me, i do...sadly)= but imho the solution (to this very problem) was to write an (X wide) MW f= ilter that passes wheelevents only to a customizable whitelist of apps. not= to say: "hey my touchpad is crap, can we please not use anything but singl= e leftclicks?"

this way you can fix your whole touchpad trouble at o= nce, and not just "the desktop", "mplayer", ... and anyone with a working m= ouse/wheel can just go on making use of it -> everyone's happy =3DD

Thomas

[*] i am aware that there're some cheap silly mice th= at try to have a "smooth as possible" wheel, but that's just a bad UI desig= n for the lack of feedback.

--Boundary-01=_URd8J7qlKVGt5Zy--