List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Middle-click copy & paste is unreliable
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2009-04-24 14:51:15

Hi

On Monday 20 April 2009, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:

> Middle click copy & paste has been unreliable for me since KDE3 IIRC, but
> in KDE 4 it has certainly *always* been unreliable. Sometimes I mark text,
> middle click somewhere else, and... nothing happens. Or maybe the previous
> middle- click "clipboard" contents appear. This is really annoying and it
> gives a bad impression especially when people are watching you using KDE,
> say in a presentation. The bug seems to be triggered especially easily when
> the text to copy is only marked for a short time before trying to paste it.
> I've reproduced this bug not only on my Kubuntu and Sidux systems with KDE
> trunk but also on Suse 11(?) with packaged KDE 4, not necessarily the
> standard packages though. It was not my computer.
> I don't know anything about X clipboards so I'd like to ask all experts:
> Why does it happen, and how can we fix it?

I've had the same problem. Though I now believe it is more of a behaviour
change more than a random bug. Middle click now only works if the windows you
are copying from still has focus. If you click on the destination first, you
instead paste what has been marked there, which is usually nothing.

So while the new behaviour is consistant and makes a kind of sense in some
way, or also makes middle-click copying close to useless. From being the most
reliable method of copying it is now the bastard child of copying that usually
doesn't work.

`Allan