List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Root privileges in systemsettings
From:       Dario Freddi <drf54321 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-22 12:32:45

Hello people,

As you might know, I'm in the process of making systemsettings+kcmshell able
to use policykit for getting root privileges and bring back the almighty
"Administrator button" (or better not, since it will be thrown away in any
case).

Though, we have a small problem here regarding multiplatform stuff. PolicyKit
is strictly for Linux (afaik it doesn't even run on Mac OS), so adding bare
PolicyKit support would lead to a lot of ifdefs, hence a real mess.

I wrote a mail to kde-windows and kde-mac, but got no replies, so I decided to
go on with my idea and propose it here.

What I basically thought about is a library with a Solid-like design for
managing authorizations. Then we can create various backends for it (one using
PolicyKit, one using Mac stuff, etc) and abstract the problem by making all
applications in KDE needing PolicyKit using this new library instead.

A possible take would be reimplementing this in Solid. I know, Solid is
hardware specific, but since the design is almost the same, a lot of code
would be duplicated.

If you think this is a good idea, I can step forward and provide an API draft
in a while.

Cheers

--

Dario Freddi