On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Parker Coates wrote: > On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 17:22, Thomas Lübking wrote: >> Am Monday 23 February 2009 schrieb Alex Merry: >>> On Monday 23 February 2009 05:34:26 John Tapsell wrote: >>> > A point brought up during the whole .desktop security problem, is >>> > kdesudo. It only prompts for the password once, and then from then on >>> > (for next X minutes), doesn't ask for the password again. >>> > >>> > So a program that wants to become root only has to wait until kdesudo >>> > has been run normally, and then can run kdesudo itself, elevating >>> > itself to root without the user knowing. >>> >>> This is a general problem with sudo. Even if we worked around it in >>> kdesudo, an application could still call sudo directly after such an >>> event, >>> unless the sudoers file sets the timeout to 0, as Pau mentioned. >> >> isn't sudo somehow shellwise restricted (i.e. if you e.g. sudo from one >> bash, you cannot sudo from another w/o re-entering the password) > > By default yes, but sudo can be configured to save the password across shells. > > Really, I don't think this is KDE's problem. sudo works the way it was > designed to work. KDE shouldn't be trying to adjust that behaviour. > Its security is largely dependent on its configuration, but that's the > distro's or the user's call, not KDE's. > > Parker > Exactly, it's beyond KDE to decide what sudo should be, we shouldn't try to modify it's intended purpose. Isn't Ubuntu the only distro that uses sudo? Or am I wrong? -- Riverenter Vestri, Shaun Reich