List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: .desktop security changes are committed
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-02-22 17:53:05

Le dimanche, 22. février 2009, à 18:38, Michael Pyne a écrit:
> Subject says it all.  Nothing's set in stone until we release ;) so if you
> have comments/suggestions for improvement/etc. please let me know.  The
> dialog is a bit different now than what I started on, hopefully this final
> version is enough to avoid "click-through":
> http://purinchu.net/dumping-ground/krun4.png I received some much
> appreciated feedback from seele (although any usability errors are of
> course my own).
>
> Alexander Larsson is handling the same thing for GNOME, and they have
> changed their file view to only "sniff" for desktop files that are
> executable or in the system directory, and only files with a .desktop
> extension.
> (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2009-
> February/msg00132.html)

Cool, thanks for caring.

Some nitpicks on the dialog:
* Could the key and the values in the Details be separated a little more
visually, so they are easier to parse? Either by linebreaks and indention
(cmp. a definition) or/and by some semantic highlighting.
* The term shortcut is only used once "(for example, if you created the
shortcut)", as you otherwise do not use the concept of a shortcut in the
dialog text perhaps it can be removed there, to not confuse the user. But
then this concept if fundamental to the problem with .desktop files, so it
might also be used in the "Warning" text? Not sure if one wants to have this
implementation detail shine up to the user.
* s/it's/it is/

Cheers
Friedrich
--