List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: requiring .desktop files to be executable ?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-02-13 19:33:05

On Friday 13 February 2009, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > I'd say to be consistent, and require that every desktop file needs
> > to have the exec bit set. [...]
> >  The real problem anyway is the upgrade path after this change is
> > introduced. [...]
>
> Hence why requiring the +x bit everywhere would be shortsighted.
> Requiring it only in non standard places is a much much better
> upgrade path IMO. You can keep it this way and be backward
> compatible. This way you can wait until the standard is changed and
> most software are following it before making the +x bit mandatory
> everywhere.

Well, you cut from my mail  the part where I wrote: "The only problem
might be that other (non-KDE)
applications installing desktop files might not be executable when KDE
makes the switch. Ok, in this case the above makes sense until the
standard requires them to be executable."

The problem after doing this change for the user's desktop files (like
the ones on the desktop) remains.

Andras