List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Squeezing "Show Keyboard Status" indicator into KDE 4.2
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-01-05 14:20:56

On Monday 05 January 2009 14:54:34 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Xavier Vello wrote:
> > > I have spoken with the developer and he is confident that the applet
> > > is ready to move from review to plasma-addons, someone just needs to
> > > do it. He hinted that due to the accessibility nature of this issue,
> > > and the maturity of the applet code, that an exception could be
> > > granted to squeeze this applet into KDE 4.2. Can this be done?
> >
> > I have no decision power, but I think the odds of a freeze exception
> > this late are near to zero, even more for such "standalone" things
> > (it's not to be included in a core library, it's something one can
> > install by hand).
> > The author should make a release at kde-apps.org and people needing it
> > can download and install it quite easily.
> > You can even ask your distribution to package it.
>
> The special case here is that is an accessibility feature, which adds
> quite a bit of weight to the request.

Yeah, but we're about to tag -rc1, so it's *really* too late for new features.
In this case, it also doesn't need to be in 4.2 proper. We've just put the
weather applet (which is finished as well) into extragear, so a released
version is available when 4.2 comes out and distros can pick that one.

That said, I've been thinking if the release schedule policy for kdeplasma-
addons shouldn't be relaxed. I don't see any real problems for reviewed and
tested code to move there, even after the rest of KDE is frozen -- but until
further notice, it's subject to freeze.
--
sebas