List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE applications need kfmclient to open links,
From:       Diederik van der Boor <vdboor () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-26 21:16:33

Op Tuesday 25 November 2008 21:44:25 David Faure schreef:
> > Another thing: Wouldn't it make sense to use the default broswer on the
> > installed system (sensible-browser, x-www-browser or whatever) if no
> > default browser is chosen in KDE? Encouraging people to use Konqueror is
> > nice for sure, but the user does have to change his default browser in
> > one less place then.
>
> No, this goes way too far. Someone trying KDE should at least be able to
> enjoy the good integration with konqueror, before deciding if he/she wants
> it or not. If KDE launches x-www-browser (*) by default (which is old
> Mozilla here), we lose that (and basically this kills konqueror, given that
> most people do not change defaults). A sensible default for KDE _is_
> konqueror; people can switch to something else if they want.
>

> (*) sensible-browser defaults to x-www-browser unless $BROWSER is set, so
> this is old mozilla again here. Nice...

I disagree here. People are running KDE applications outside of KDE, why
should we enforce them to use more of KDE?

For example, I got multiple requests from GNOME users why KMess wasn't opening
their default browser (firefox), and how they could change that.
We constantly had to answer how they to install kdebase and navigate through
KControl. Nowadays we've added a "preferred browser" option in our settings
dialog as workaround. Amarok 1 also does this.

This is quite an ugly fix to deal with reality, and I would prefer to see
instead that KDE respects the preferred browser setting of the active desktop
(whether it's GNOME, Windows XP or MacOS).

If you're worried this kills Konqueror, isn't that what _defaults_ are meant
for? But if the user wants to move away from those defaults, it should not be
utter pain.

Greetings,

Diederik