On Tue, 25 Nov 08 21:44, David Faure wrote: > On Friday 21 November 2008, Armin Berres wrote: > > On Fri, 21 Nov 08 21:56, Armin Berres wrote: > > > Another problem: xdg-open calls ksmserver and happily fails more or less > > > when it is not around. It doesn't even open Iceweasel or x-www-browser > > > on Debian then. Actually it tries to open websites with w3m... > > > > Oki doki, if ksmserver is not around it tries to use sensible-browser > > which falls back to w3m on my box. Seems as if this is not a general > > problem. Maybe changing it to search for kioclient first these days > > wouldn't hurt. > > You mean kfmclient where you say "ksmserver", right? I can't see what ksmserver has to do > with any of this. Yuk, for sure I mean kfmclient. > invokeBrowser calling "kioclient exec" instead of "kfmclient openUrl" would have > the risk that if the mimetype is not text/html or derivative, then you won't get a browser, > thereby breaking what invokeBrowser is supposed to do :-) > > Hmm. Can't find a good example for a case where this might happen though > (a misconfigured webserver wouldn't make konq load khtml, anyway, > and an image or anything else would be opened just as well in konq and in > a standalone app anyway)... > But this made me grep for invokeBrowser and I found that knetattach > was abusing invokeBrowser in order to launch konqueror on a ftp/fish/smb url. > This is wrong, it should use KRun instead... But using "kioclient exec" instead of "kfmclient openUrl" wouldn't really break knetattach -- the difference would be that instead of Konqueror Dolphin will be used. Or do I muss something here? > > xdg-open would have the benefit, that it uses e.g. the default browser > > on Gnome when the user is running Gnome instead of KDE. Opening > > protocols like fish wouldn't work in this case, but I guess > > invokeBrowser() isn't meant to be able to do this? > > I would say "no in theory", but in practice it has been abused to do so, so > changing it will break some apps... Using kioclient exec would make knetattach > launch e.g. dolphin, which is fine, while using xdg-open would make knetattach > launch some browser like firefox and the user gets an error, right? > Of course knetattach has to be fixed (any maintainer for it???), but this > abuse could exist elsewhere. > > This was for the pragmatic answer. In theory I agree that xdg-open (if present) > would be a solution. Hmm, wait. The real Problem here is, that xdg-open calls "kfmclient openUrl" when it finds a KDE environment, if kfmclient is not around it will use sensible-browser. open_kde() { which kfmclient >/dev/null || open_generic "$1" kfmclient exec "$1" kfmclient_fix_exit_code $? if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then exit_success else exit_failure_operation_failed fi } Seems as if this is also not really what we want. > > Another thing: Wouldn't it make sense to use the default broswer on the > > installed system (sensible-browser, x-www-browser or whatever) if no > > default browser is chosen in KDE? Encouraging people to use Konqueror is > > nice for sure, but the user does have to change his default browser in > > one less place then. > > No, this goes way too far. Someone trying KDE should at least be able to > enjoy the good integration with konqueror, before deciding if he/she wants > it or not. If KDE launches x-www-browser (*) by default (which is old Mozilla here), > we lose that (and basically this kills konqueror, given that most people do > not change defaults). A sensible default for KDE _is_ konqueror; people can > switch to something else if they want. Point taken :-) /Armin