List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE applications need kfmclient to open links, which is not
From:       Armin Berres <trigger () space-based ! de>
Date:       2008-11-21 20:33:43

On Wed, 19 Nov 08 19:31, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2008, Armin Berres wrote:
> > After reading the following Debian bug report [0] Pino Toscano and me
> > discovered the following: To be able to open links most KDE applications
> > rely on an installed available kfmclient executable [1]. The problem is
> > now: kfmclient is shipped with Konqueror. This means: If Konqueror is
> > not installed a lot of applications are not able to open links even with
> > another configured browser. For KDE user this isn't such a big problem,
> > but a Gnome user e.g. doesn't want to install Konqueror just to be able
> > to open external links.
> > The question is now: How can we solve this problem? I guess in theory
> > kfmclient should be a part of kdebase/runtime and not kdebase/apps, but
> > I don't know if this is feasible in pratice. I didn't check yet how
> > coupled kfmclient and Konqueror are and when distributed -runtime
> > and -apps are two different tarballs.
>
> Could probably be changed to use kioclient.

Good point :)
It seems as if "kfmclient openURL $URL" can be replaced with "kioclient
exec $URL" without loosing functionality. At least I didn't find any lost
functionality yet.
The only difference I found is that kfmclient uses konqueror to open
everything, while kioclient opens the dedicated application. Dolphin for
folders, kwrite for text files and so on.

The problem with xdg-open is, that one can't expect to have it installed
by default.

Greetings,
Armin